Fit to PitchBook - 1996
In more than 30 years in professional baseball as a pitcher, coach, performance analyst, and consultant, Tom House has helped enhance and extend the careers of many pitching greats, including Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan.
In Fit to Pitch , Tom combines his on-field experiences,
weight-room workouts, and years of research to deliver proven, practical applications that will strengthen your pitching throughout the year.
This comprehensive conditioning program:
- outlines essential training components to develop more speed, strength, and stamina on the mound;
- details pitcher-specific workouts for year-round conditioning; and
- highlights rehabilitation guidelines that help players return to competition faster and more safely.
In Part I, Tom describes training components that balance strength building and pitching workloads and won't tear down pitchers' arms. He includes:
- more than 30 integrated flexibility techniques;
- aerobic and anaerobic workouts;
- both small-muscle and large-muscle group drills for conditioning; and
- flat-ground versus mound training cycles.
Part II shows you how to set up a complete pitcher's training program using the components described in part I, including daily workouts, between-game sessions, and a season-long plan. You will learn to design workouts to meet the specific needs and styles of pitchers--starters, relievers, power pitchers, finesse pitchers--and build your body and arm for peak performance.
In Part III Tom outlines ""prehabilitative"" conditioning guidelines and exercises that help maximize pitching performance and minimize the risk of injury. He also shares his rehabilitative training methods, proved to facilitate the recovery time of injured players. With Tom's nutritional dos and try-tos for pitchers, you'll learn how to combine, rotate, and supplement food to stay healthy on and off the field. You'll want to try the 14-day diet designed specifically to meet pitchers' nutritional needs.
Tom House takes the guesswork out of physical, mechanical, and nutritional preparation, so that you can take the mound Fit to Pitch .